Carrot Stew

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Around the house DIY....


So with all the burlap trendy-ness going on right now, I decided to whip up a valance for our big picture window in the kitchen. OH-SO-SIMPLE!!! I started with an 18" wide strip of unbleached muslin, cut it the length of my window and cut 3 strips of burlap (about 8-10 inches wide and prob twice as long as the window) and pinned them into ruffles and sewed with my machine. Don't forget to hem your edges first, or they will unravel. I had pieces of burlap to make up each row of ruffles...not one continuous piece. It would have been easier to do long strips but less cost effective on the yardage. (Hope that made sense!!) Anyway, I made loops out of some leftover fabric, added trim to the top and hung them from knobs that I got at Hobby Lobby for 1/2 off. Love it!


Another view of our breakfast nook....The table came from Craig's list and the chairs *free*! Stewart and I painted and distressed the table and I did the chairs. Comfy and cozy for the fam!


I got this side table at my favorite antiques store for a mere $22.00. It had drink rings on the top and was a lovey 70's orangish finish. I sanded and distressed it and painted in a creamy neutral. The books were from a garage sale and I tied them up with vintage lace. The lamp is one we have had for years!



This was another freebie a la craig's list...yes, I might be addicted. It has 2 more leaves so it can be big or small! I painted it a wonderful olive green that I got in the mistints at Lowe's and distressed it and applied a black glaze and finished with a wax paste.


Thrifty tablescape....I got these milk glass vases and the small silver cup at a thrift store for $2.50...total! The moss was 1/2 off at Hobby Lobby and the books were more from the same garage sale mentioned above. The flower was made by yours truly:)See how easy it is to decorate on the cheap? Happy Treasure hunting!

1 comment:

  1. Very inspiring post! I wish we actually hung out so that your crafty ideas would rub off on me! I am looooving everything! So beautiful! Looking forward to less busy schedules and this weekend! :) Miss you!

    ReplyDelete